Thursday, September 13, 2007

Victory in Jesus

As a person who has struggled with Borderline Personality Disorder (which I like to think of as a "type" not a "disorder"), I often struggle in my spiritual life as well, as I'm sure we all do in different ways. There are times when I think there is something seriously wrong, only to find out later when I think and pray about it that it was only a bad mood that I needed to wilfully change. This is something I'm learning to deal with, and I thank God that the worst of the struggle is over. The Lord has brought me through so much and has taught me how to deal with the psychological issues I've suffered with, and it's really amazing when I think of what would happen to me and how poorly I'd be dealing with my issues if it weren't for Him. Somehow I live a relatively normal life, without the help of medication or psychiatrists (two things that can do more harm than good).
Recently I started working, and work can cause a lot of anxiety for me. I do enjoy my job, but I tend to worry about time... even on weekends, the thought of having a certain amount of time before I have to go back to work can cause anxiety. This is probably very difficult to understand, so I won't try to explain further... I'll go on with my story.
So, on the weekend (after my first week back at work) I was having an awful time with my moods, and didn't go to my newphew's birthday party because I just wanted to be alone to sort things out (but also thinking about how much time I had)... so I stayed home and eventually decided to face whatever it was that was bothering me so much. This was sunday afternoon and all weekend I had thought there was something terribly wrong. I had a lot of thoughts going through my head all of a sudden about being a terrible person and about being an addict, and I had a lot of fear that I would end up wanting to go back to my old lifestyle and that sort of thing... again, wild thought processes that I barely understand myself, so I can't really explain.
I prayed a lot that day. I was at the point where I was determined to do something about my mood before I became self-destructive. And while I was in prayer, I sensed that the Lord was speaking to me about my mental turmoil... and he was saying that all I had to do was claim victory in His name. I never would have thought it was that simple, but as soon as God revealed this to me, I believed it and I claimed victory. It really was that simple. It just isn't God's will for me to feel the way I was feeling, and if I am willing to change the way I'm thinking, he'll always help me.
So, as simplistic as it may sound... I've decided to start claiming victory over ever negative thought, "taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ". (2 Cor. 10:5)
That day I claimed victory over all my negative thoughts and the change that immediately took place in me was miraculous. I haven't felt so much joy in a long time.
It definitely takes a lot of effort sometimes when we struggle with negativity, but God doesn't want us to stay in that kind of mindset. It is definitely possible to change. PRAISE GOD!

1 comment:

Annie said...

Wow, that's awesome! Praise God!